Wednesday 6 March 2013

cover gifts from magazines

There have been times when I have purchased a magazine because of the cover gift only to be rather disappointed either by the magazine or the gift.  Or although the gift is good I have had no idea what to do with it. 

The gift on the current issue of MOLLIE MAKES (issue 24) is one of the exceptions to this rule.  An oilcloth coin purse complete with clasp.  I have several clasps (larger than this one) but I haven't been too sure what to do with them.

cigar box bag and needlefelt broaches etc
After reading through the instructions I decided to stop making items for my shop at CREATIVE STORES http://www.creativestores.co.uk/new/shop/dreamtimemakes.html  and have a go at making the purse so that if it went well others would still be able to buy the magazine.
 When I first took the kit out of the pack I was a little confused as to what the paper twine was for, the instructions in the magazine were really clear and very easy to follow.
 This was the first time I had used oilcloth and I found it an easy fabric to sew and very quickly I was ready to attach the clasp.  So far the hardest bit was turning the purse right sides out - stiff fabric/small purse.  The instructions said that attaching the clasp was fiddly and they were right.  Fiddly but not to difficult and the little bit of glue that oozed out rubbed off the clasp and fabric without any problems.






It felt as hardly any time had past and I had a completed coin purse.  My only problem with it is that it is a little too pink for my taste - having said that I am really proud of myself and can't wait to start using it.
And now the purse is made I can go back to making catfish keyrings.  http://www.creativestores.co.uk/new/accessories/keyrings/catfishkeyring.html

No comments:

Post a Comment