Saturday 13 July 2013

Time for Tea - a collection of tea sets

 This is an overview of the tea sets I played with as a child.  Three different tea sets and a few extra little bits and pieces.
Playing tea parties started in earnest when I was five years old.

  My first tea set was given to me by my Grandad. This was the only present for one of his grandchildren that he brought himself instead of sending my Gran back to get it.  I can only suppose that he fell in love with it.  I know I did.  He died not long after he gave me this which makes it even more cherished.


 I played with the tea set so much.  My Mum brought little loaves of Hovis bread which she sliced so they were the right size for my tea set and baked me little cakes and tarts.






I can remember buying this tea set when I was eight from a toy shop in Ramsgate and a whole new era of tea parties began.

Luke warm tea in the teapot and multi-coloured sugar crystals meant that the cups were always filled with undissolved sugar.
This set had its good and bad points.

The shape of the teapot, milk jug and sugar bowl meant it was easier to use but it did not have plates.  Mum found me some small plates that matched.
 This enamel Chad Valley set was given to me when I was about ten or eleven, My sister who is nine years younger was also given one.
I find it surprising that this set that was not played with as
much is the one that shows signs of wear.  All my tea sets were used - a lot, the handle of this milk jug is broken and I have lost a tea cup.







I aslo had this lovely peices of minature glassware.  A cakestand, fruit bowl, wine glass and six tankards.


There were breakages, after all I was a child, this little Noddy teapot has a broken lid.  And one of the white tea plates was broken into three and had to be mended.




Other treasures include this little tea cup, the coffee cup and a very small milk jug.







  With all of my tea sets washed and ready for action I may have to put them to use again and have a tea party.  Baking is fantastic fun and I have quite a few mini cake and loaf tins.  So the question now is who to invite first .......... that is if I can bring myself to share my precious toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment