Wednesday 11 June 2014

ACCIDENTLY VINTAGE

While getting the plates out for dinner last weekend - similar crockery can be seen in the Good's kitchen (The Good Life, a seventies sitcom https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyZ--z8RpOI) - I realised that many of the things in every day use are distinctly old.  This has been an accidental occurrence, for the most part.  Apart from the odd item such as the glass jelly moulds I found last year most of my old/vintage treasures have family history. 
The plates we have been using for over twenty years, every so often I suggest getting a new dinner service but to be honest I do have a soft spot for our old plates.




A bit battered but it is 61 years old and still in everyday use


I am now the proud owner of the tea caddy from my childhood - this was one of the wedding presents my parents received  Once it was mine I read the Royal appointment for the first time, To his late majesty George VI.  



There is the cardboard box that contains cake cases, price one shilling.  Three tins originally sold for keeping cream crackers in which are full of cake cases - some of which date back to the 1970's and were my mothers.
There is also what I refer to as my 'mock crystal' which is genuine Woolworth's and I believe the same age as me.
 


One of my most cherished possessions is not accidental MY GRANDMOTHER'S tea set -this was one of her wedding presents in 1929 and although I would hesitate to use it I love to look at it and when planning my kitchen I made sure there was somewhere to display it.





No comments:

Post a Comment